Skip to content ↓

Our Trust of Schools

Routes to Employment

Once you leave school there are a number of different routes you can take to education, employment or training which you need to stay in until you are 18.  You need to choose whether to: 


  • stay in full-time education - for example at school, sixth form college, further education college or University Technical College (UTC) 
  • start an apprenticeship or traineeship 
  • spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering while also doing part-time education or training 

Your local authority has a duty to make sure you are offered a suitable place by the end of September. This is known as the September Guarantee. Contact your local authority for information on who can help find you a suitable offer. 

You may be eligible for the 16 to 19 Bursary Fund, which can help with things like books, travel or equipment if you will struggle with education or training costs. 

If you have an Education Health and Care (EHC) plan, you can get support to choose your next steps and extra help when you are in education, training or work. 

Combining work and study 

Gain practical skills, get work experience and a qualification that employers need.